Home to only 20 horses means that each horse receives individual attention, customized feedings with premium feed and forage, and turn-out from a caring and professional staff. We believe in providing horses with a "natural lifestyle", including as much turn-out as possible and a "forage based" feeding program. The Heron Mead Farm's feeding program and turn-out regimen has been specifically designed (and is strongly recommended by equine veterinarians and researchers) to reduce or eliminate many problems common among domesticated horses such as ulcers, colic, founder, arthritis, and behavioral problems (both ground manners and under saddle).
- 10' x 14' box stalls with 2 Dutch doors
one opening to the outside and one into the aisle
- 10' x 10' individual run-in sheds with windows
- Rubber mat floors in stalls and sheds
- Heated automatic waterers in stalls and paddocks
- Variety of turn-out options (most with run-in
sheds): large grass pastures, paddocks, and drylots
- Well-lit wash stall with hot/cold water
- Heated tack room and heated bathroom
- Regulation size lighted dressage ring
- 60' round pen with packed sand/screenings footing
- Show jumps and 3/4 mile, 15' wide, perimeter path
suitable for trotting and cantering
- Horseback access to more than 30 miles of Blue Marsh Lake trails and 6000 acres
of State Game Lands
- Self-Care Board ranges from $150. - $390.
- Price varies upon amount of Boarder's care
- Price includes feed, hay, & bedding; and
2-3 feedings per day
- Minimum age of Self-Care boarders is 12 yrs. old
- Must do one month trial period (i.e., doing the
daily work for no discount to make sure work is
done to HMF standards and that it can be fit
into boarders' schedules)
- Boarders charged $10. for any day(s) they
need HMF to do care for their horse, if requested
one week ahead, or with a parent's/Dr.'s note
for illness/injury/family emergency
- Boarders charged $20. for any day(s) they
need HMF to do their work, if the request is made
less than one week ahead or on Holidays
-Boarders needing more than 5 days of HMF
caring for their horses will be charged Full Board
- Pony $475.
- Horse $500.
- See below for "Services Included"
- Training Board
- Includes full board, ranges from $650. - 1,200.
- Price depends on amount of training/week
Services Included in Full Board:
- Owner lives on premises; each horse checked daily for injury/illness
- Horses may live in either a box stall or an individual run-in shed (depending on availability)
- Stalls cleaned once or twice daily, sheds and paddocks cleaned 2-3 times a week
- Customized 2-3 feedings a day with premium feed and free choice, or limited, grass/alfalfa hay
- Customized 24/7 turn-out, or limited turn-out (group, couples, or solo) on grass or on dry-lots
- Veterinarian approved deworming program (additional fee) with every horse dewormed by professional stable managers
- Many "Extra Services" available - see below for pricing
- Owners advised of routine vet/farrier needs and upcoming vet visits
- White salt block provided; extra hay, feed, and bedding available (for additional fee)
- Professional consulting for individual horse's needs regarding Training, Exercise, and Therapy to optimize each horse's health (limited to 1/2 hr. per horse per month on average)
- Nutritional options available (for additional fee) to optimize each horse's condition with a wide variety of feed choices, vitamins, minerals, nutraceuticals, herbal, and homeopathic remedies
- Experienced Stable Managers and/or Owners available regularly between 8am - 4 pm to occasionally assist boarders with their horses
Prices for Extra Services:
- Handling for Vet, Farrier, etc. (after 10 mins.) $25/hr.
- Handwalking, Bandaging, Soaking, etc. $25/hr.
- Grooming, Tacking-Up and Cooling Out $25/ride
- Bathing, Sheath Cleaning, Tack Cleaning $25/hr.
- Mane Pulling, Clipper Trimming $25/hr.
- Body Clipping (approx. 1.5 to 2+ hrs.) $75-$150
- Blanket Charge for Daily Monitoring/Changing $35/mo.
- Panacur/Safeguard Power Pak Deworming $50
- Ivermectin/Strongid Deworming $10-15
- Trailering: 1way, 1 horse, per loaded mile $2.50
- Trailering: 2 way, 1 horse, per loaded mile $1.50
References available upon request.